Woodburn Presbyterian Church began in 1922 when First Presbyterian Church, Wilmington, North Carolina organized a Sunday School for the rural Leland community.  The effort was very successful and grew quite rapidly. 

The first sanctuary, a single room, was constructed and dedicated in 1924.  Since these humble beginnings, the church building has been expanded four times, 1941, 1949, 1954 and 2001.  A manse was built in 1935, but moved off-site in 2006.  Additions to the main Church building were made in 1941, 1947, and 1949.  In 1954, the Sanctuary was bricked, the front of the building was extended, and the Fellowship Hall was added.  The original Fellowship Hall was an old barracks from Camp Davis.  Hurricanes blew off the steeple in 1985 and 1998.  In 2001, the Fellowship Hall was completely remodeled and upgraded.  Also located on the church property; are a cemetery, a softball field, parking lots and children’s play area. 

The church is an active and vital part of the community.